Separated Parent Policy

At St Paul’ s CE Primary School we recognise that while some parents may be divorced or separated, both have a right to be informed of, and involved in, their child’s educational progress.

Evidence shows that after separation children do best when those around them cooperate, provide stability, and avoid conflict. We understand that this can be difficult and parents can become estranged. Our aim is to work with all parties to promote positive family involvement. This policy clarifies what is expected from separated parents and carers, the school and its staff.

It is the responsibility of parents to inform the school when there is a change in the family’s circumstances. We need to be kept up to date with contact details, arrangements for collecting children and emergencies.

The information provided to school when the pupil was enrolled, detailing whether both parents have parental responsibility, will be presumed to be correct unless a court order or original birth certificate proving otherwise is provided to the school.

All diary dates, Newsletters, and Headteacher’s letters are available on our website at . Parents are responsible for providing a correct email address. Occasionally paper letters are sent home with pupils and we expect parents to communicate these messages to each other as and when appropriate.

During both autumn and spring term, we will hold one parent consultation evening per child where both parents are welcome and we expect parents to communicate with each other regarding these arrangements. If parents are unable to do this then we expect parents to take it in turn, one having an autumn appointment one having a spring appointment. Unfortunately the school is unable to offer individual appointments as the school does not have the capacity to support this.

We expect parents to liaise and communicate directly with each other in matters such as the ordering of school photographs; tickets for performances and other instances.

Both parents are entitled to receive progress reports and review their child’s pupil records. Mid-year reports and end of year reports will be sent to both parents, providing the school have up to date addresses for both.

Where a separated parent has parental responsibility but is not the parent with whom the child usually resides and there is no court order in place, the school is required to allow the child home with him or her. However the Headteacher (or designated senior leader) is able to use discretion (in the case of an unexpected or unusual request) and would seek clarification from the resident parent before allowing the child to leave the premises.

July 2018